Wednesday, April 16, 2008

With the help of God

Well the day went better than I expected thanks to my 2 commenters who understood my issue and ladies, isn't that all we need? Thanks to the two of you for getting it.

Today is one which I will attempt to meet with the help of the Lord in everything I do. I forget to do that more often than not and it is very true that, left to my own devices, I fail more often than not. Oh I don't see the failure as I am in the middle of it but afterwards? There it is. Plain as the nose on your face and how plain is that? Where on earth did that expression come from? But I digress.

I quit smoking years ago after failure after failure after......you get the picture. Each time I would grab on to the seat belt and buckle up and get ready for the first 24 hours without smoking . . . I would make it through maybe 2 or 3 before the agony of defeat would hit. The rationalizing voice would enter my head saying, "Wouldn't it be better to just cut back? Have one every other hour. Think of how few cigarettes that would be. Then in a week every three hours and so on and so on. . . . " Baloney!

I am trying to moderate my eating habits. How's that for avoiding the "D" word? I am in the throes of what to do . what to do? Cut and count the calories? Do the Atkins thing? Go back to Jenny Craig? WEIGHT WATCHERS!!! EEeeegads. Why don't I do what I know should be done and that is rely on God...I did it with the smoking ban. I sat down and gave myself the talking to I needed and then begged for help. I prayed and cried and begged and sure enough - I made it through one day. It wasn't fun and it wore me out but I knew I could do it with the help I asked for. Every morning I would thank God ahead of time for another day of successful quitting because I knew He would be there and help me help myself.

I am thanking God right now for a day of moderation and for the strength I will need to get through the pitfalls of treats and snacks that seem to abound whenever I vow I will not fall for them. I know I can do this with His help. Thank you Lord.

1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

Proud of you, Gemma. I will get this accomplished too--just not moving as fast as I would have hoped. I think this a great way to do it. God is there for everything. I do believe that.

Glad the comment helped. I often get left alone at the table here, everyone finished and takes off...there I am sitting, eating, alone...(although sometimes it is better having the quiet). I could make them stay, I guess.