Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Don't Hurry Summer

Start of the month and I can't believe it's August. Used to be August was the start of the count down. School starts when? How many more days? The closer we got to the end of the month the more we squished into the days of freedom. You see, we were away at Cape Cod for the whole entire summer. Over the bridge and off to the Cape and nothing to do allllllll summer long except swim and swim and collect shells and swim and row the boat and swim. No shoes and basically no clothes except for bathing suits allllllll summer long and boy howdy they were long summers. Cousins and aunts and uncles and beach and even when it rained you went to the beach. Walk in the rain and puddles and of course swim..why not? The rain was wet wasn't it? The ocean salt would be washed away by the rain on the walk home.

By Labor Day the place would empty out and with all the packing and cleaning and fewer and fewer kids to play with it was kind of ok to head back home for school and shoes and winter. Still, August is a don't rush the days kind of month because I want summer to linger just a while longer. I'm still at the Cape - weekends anyhow -- oh all right! Long Weekends. YAY! I'm old and I can take those long weekends. I'm so old I should be retired but that's another story altogether. Later. I'm still at the Cape and have those same "oh no shoes" kind of feelings. Today I have to work and it's a perfect beach day...hot - humid - some kind of bug buzzing in the background. Hurry! Get to the beach! Jump in the ocean....float. Floating is a wonderful thing. Thank you Lord for floating and memories and weekends.

No comments: