Friday, May 16, 2008

Just a Thought or two

Long week for sure. Next week probably the same but there is a baseball game on Tuesday and we will be there. Of course they, they being the Red Sox, are on a losing streak and my fervent desire is that they break that streak by or on Tuesday. The ride home with the hub will be so gloomy otherwise.

This week our niece graduated from nursing school. She is so dear to us. It's funny isn't it, how some kids have a really rough childhood, parents feuding and indulging in adult beverages or other things, shuttled off from time to time with relatives, barely enough money to survive - those things and yet some kids grow into such wonderful, beautifully mannered, goal oriented and disciplined adults. It is funny. Isn't it? Because other kids with some troubles turn into adults who behave like they were raised by wolves. I have all manner of that around me. This girl though? She is an amazing woman.

The graduation brought out that part of me that yearns for order and tradition. The graduating class was dressed in nurse caps, white dresses or in the case of the men suits, white hose and shoes and each carried a red rose. It was lovely. The graduates were all ages and sizes and came from any number of places and backgrounds. They were all joined by the determination they shared to make a change in their own lives and make a difference in the lives of others. As Joanne Woodward said in some movie that sticks with me for who knows what reason, "My heart was full."

Now I must off to the office, roll up my sleeves and plunge even deeper into the bowels of this business in which I find myself entwined.

No comments: