Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Revelation

My Dad loved Fred Allen. For anyone who might not know, and there are more and more of you every minute, he was a radio star. Imagine that! There were people waaaaay back then who became famous from being on the radio and they were not talk show hosts. Fred Allen was a comic and when my Dad listened to him I was a very tiny tot. Fred Allen wound up on TV and he was old and tired looking and I remember my Dad laughing and I just didn't get it. Now, I have this obsession with looking up quotes and I came across these and they are all Fred Allen originals:

The first thing that strikes a visitor to Paris is a taxi.

Television is a medium because anything well done is rare.

The first time I sang in the church choir; two hundred people changed their religion.

You can take all the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a fruit fly and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a producer's heart.


And that is just the beginning....it seems that comedy, like oysters, is an acquired taste.

No comments: