Thursday, February 02, 2006

Stepping along

Well I'm back and disciplined enough to write a blog entry a day. It's something that I am able to do whether or not I say anything. That's a problem. If you have nothing of import to say then say nothing. I worked with people who always had something to say at a meeting. Often the remarks or questions were painfully stupid, in my opinion. Later I am told that if you never say anything you are invisible in the promotion log. It doesn't matter what you say as long as you say something. I am in between on the issue and I will try to say something every day that is at least not painfully stupid. It may be boring or useless but hopefully not stupid. By the way, those people who spoke every day did get promoted, not to spectacular heights but promoted. I, on the other hand, due to circumstances both in and out of my control managed to get promoted, transfer to a new location start over, get promoted, transfer to a new location, start over and get promoted again. The last location, I went up three levels from my start over position. In a just world I would be a highly ranked management person if you count every promotion I received. Rather, my career was more like step aerobics. I climbed that same step over and over.

I never said stupid things at meetings however. On that I remain unanimous.

No comments: