Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Great Aunt Alice

This morning is again, hot humid hazy and more than likely by the time I finish this.....rainy. I am reminding myself of one of my great aunts, that's great as in my father's aunt not great as in what a swell gal although she was very kind. This particular great aunt kept little diaries and in them she would jot down the weather and her events of the day. I read through one of those little gems and it was a lot like this:

Rainy today. Hot. Opened a window. Too humid to walk downtown. Swept the kitchen floor. Sarah stopped in with a letter from Olga. We had tea and ate the sugar cookies I baked yesterday.

She would have kept a blog like this probably. If she knew that her audience were large enough, two or three, she would have told everyone about the family tree, she loved that sort of thing. A connection to the Tufts family was her huge claim to fame. A cousin of mine spent forever trying to sort that out since some obscure by law in the early beginnings of Tufts University provided for tuition to all descendants of the founder. I'm not sure he ever managed to connect the dots.

Well, Aunt Alice, I hope you can see your impact on me. It's lasting.

No comments: