Monday, July 17, 2006

Growing Sideways

On my morning walk I did what I usually do which is to thank God for letting me live here even if it is just part time at the moment. I marvel at all of the birds singing. A cardinal was perched on a roof singing his little heart out and it made me think of my dad. A butterfly flitted by and I thought of my mother. Gigantic and blue blue blue hydrangeas abound. They are bigger and bluer than ever this year. We think it's the heavy rain all spring, we being myself and I. I spotted a spindly pine tree growing almost sideways and realized it was trying to reach the sun. That made me think of people who know what they need to thrive. They have to reach their sun and often, to do so, they have to grow sideways and reach out of the crowd shadowing them. They are often looked at as anomalies. They have their own music and dance to it. Or is it march to it. Whatever. I thought that would be a great book title. Whatever it takes to reach the sun. or the light. or . . . . my walk finished too soon. I'll ponder this tomorrow. Have a wonderful Monday even if it's hazy hot and humid as it is here. . it's summer after all.

No comments: