Monday, July 10, 2006

Hazy, Hot, Humid

Today is a hot, humid and hazy day. Yes, those lazy hazy days of summer. This is one of those. I finished all the laundry yesterday so that chore is behind me. I have to thaw out chicken, buy milk, go to the Christmas Tree Shop for small cocktail size napkins that they sell for $1.99 as opposed to $5.50 elsewhere. What a day, what a day. Last week I was supposed to be on vacation but wound up in the office on Thursday and on a conference call on Friday. Today, I should be working here on an employee manual but since I worked on two of my vacation days, I might cruise on one of my work days this week.

Now that the guilt of not working at home while at home has been somewhat set aside and the rationale for not working being laid on the table, I will get on with my non-work at home day. I will get on with it slowly due to the lazy hazy day that it is.

I just read a blog, A Crafty Madness. I have read this blog for a long time through all of its iterations. Andrea wrote today about reading a book, Witness by Whittaker Chambers and I am currently reading that as well. I have been reading and re-reading it actually. I can only read it for brief periods because he writes so beautifully that I get sucked into the world he lived in and when I stop reading it's like coming up for air after deep sea diving. I have to be put into the compression chamber and re-insert myself into this world. The events he describes are so similar to events that are occurring as I type and the personalities he interacted with are here as well. Everyone drives today's vehicles and dresses differently but the character traits....They are the same. When will people stop doing the same foolish things over and over when history shows those things to be unsuccessful?

I'm glad she wrote about Chambers...I have to go back to that book and read on.

Hazy, Hot and Humid is a perfect atmosphere for that.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Gemma, I came to thank you for your visit today, and to invite you to come back anytime. Do you remember where you found me? Just curious.