Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Memories

Just read Lileks' Christmas disaster entry for his blog. He said he didn't remember a single toy he got but he remembers his Dad coming through the door with Russel Stover that he had just bought.....

Before I forget to write this down I have to say that reminds me of every Christmas morning when gifts were opened.. Mother always got Evening In Paris perfume that Dad picked up at the all night drugstore in the city. He brought it home late on Christmas Eve and Mother would have a fit every Christmas morning. I don't think she ever wore any. The only time it was used was when I, as a youngster, played domestic goddess and mixed it in with the orange juice. Yup, the fam never forgot that little thing and I was never allowed in the kitchen until I was way over 18. The other thing I savor is making stuffed dates with Dad. That was always done for Thanksgiving and Christmas.. Mix butter with confectioner's sugar and vanilla until it is the right consistency and open a date, scoop in the mix and roll the whole thing in sugar. Talk about cholesterol. No wonder we all had by-passes at an early age. Ye gads. But I have to say those dates were such a tasty treat.

No comments: