Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Family

Found an old book by John Bradshaw, former priest, guru of PBS fame, called The Family. I read it and re- read it when I first encountered him on TV. With my recent loss I pulled it out again. He had a handle on interactions and dynamics within a family group, that's for sure. I am stuck on his opening paragraph for chapter 10:

"Growing up means leaving home and becoming a self-supporting adult. I think this is the hardest task any human being has to face. It means breaking the fantasy bond and facing separation and aloneness."

Leaving home may never happen physically but the group that surrounds you and that you feel "at home" with may leave, one by one. Self supporting may not mean in a financial way. Being left alone rather than leaving is a shattering event. Emotional self support is not possible--you need a cushion of something other than you .............. you find that people always leave, they die, they move, they bond elsewhere. Where to look for that support..the one thing that never changes ever is God has established His throne in heaven and His kingdom rules over all. Be lost in God's immensity. You will come out as if from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated.

I wish I could think of these things. In lieu of that I have the radio ministers. Thank you God for the airwaves.

No comments: