Thursday, January 18, 2007

Faith not Works

Heard this morning on the way to work. A man in the radio minister’s congregation was well to do and a wonderful pillar of the community. He owned his own business, treated his employees well, paid a higher than average wage with full benefits. He contributed to the local charities, endowed a wing at the hospital, sponsored scholarships at the high school, was a mentor to many. He was a good father, a loyal husband and caring son and brother. This was a good man. Following the sermon which dealt with the fact that you are saved by faith not works he stopped the minister to explain to him why, after all that he has done with his life, is he no better than a pimp or murderer who repents and is saved? The answer was rather limp, I thought.

The minister explained that there is no perfect person and even when you think you are 99.99% perfect, the truth is that there are sins and imperfections that you are unwilling or unable to see. Everyone needs Jesus since He is the only way to be washed clean. I understood that answer but there is still, in my mind and many, that nagging “Why? Why did I live my life watching out and taking care and doing good deeds when I might rather have gone out with my friends? Why when it doesn’t matter?’’ I have struggled with that one forever but what I have found is that the person who toes the mark has fewer regrets and less to repent of. I don’t think the person who dishonored his mother and father, stole from his friends, assaulted his loved ones and generally lived a disreputable life was having fun. I think that when that person is brought to his knees and cries for mercy, he will be granted mercy and forgiven. God won’t remember your sins and hold them against you but he doesn’t wipe them out of your memory. You have to live with that and that’s when that WHY is answered. No one wants to tote that bag around, the one we have is full enough and we think we have behaved. Yikes! Who wants to add to the load. Not me! God’s plan is perfect since we sure aren’t.

Thank you God for running the show.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Gemma, thank you so much for the visit. I am glad you like the old photos; I have quite a few more to show. Please keep checking back for them.