Monday, March 13, 2006

Annoyance

I just thought of something else that annoys me, not as much as it did when it first happened but I'm older now, more mature, growing in wisdom or some such thing. This particular annoyance occurred many years ago. I had graduated from college and had taught sixth grade for one year. I had decided that I would not return to teaching elementary school and would take the summer off. I moved to my parents summer home near a beach and since I had opted to receive my check for the teaching year on a monthly basis, I did not seek employment. I lolled and let the currents take me where they would. They did and by the end of the summer I needed to find a job.

I applied to every single thing I could think of and here comes the annoyance. Every application asked for previous jobs and what you had learned at each. Teaching was not the problem but filling in the jobs prior to that included chambermaid and laundromat attendant. Well what the hell - I was always one to take literally any direction and proceeded to detail the learning experiences each of those employments had provided. Cleaning toilets and polishing the chrome of the bathroom was something I had never done until the chambermaid experience came my way. Separating whites from colors and the proper use of bleach was another. Gads -- the interviews were not forthcoming......and in each case I was told that my attitude needed some work. Learning experiences of the personal development kind were more what they sought in that area of the application. Well hell! Say so! That is annoying.

Just sayin'

No comments: