Monday, September 19, 2005

brothers before others

I come from a very large family. My mother and father both had numbers of sibs and they in turn had numbers of offsprings and so sibs and 1st cousins abound. Now the cousins and siblings have offsprings who in turn have offsprings and so on and so on.

Anyhow, growing up, in the summer, most aunts and uncles and cousins joined my family since we had a summer place near the ocean. It was just a summer place, linoleum on a concrete slap and only cold water with just an indoor toilet. We swam and sunned and sprawled on cots, two or more at a time depending on age and size. We were and are close like siblings but we were and are cousins.

Now, aunts and uncles are passing and cousins are gray and grandparents. We have had turmoil and feuds and simmering resentments and love and support as large families do.. My aunt once said to me that her children didn't have as many friends as I did because she had so many children and they were all so close that they didn't have time for anyone but each other. Wierd. But that's my family.

My husband met a bunch at a family gathering and he said when we left that he saw me and my brothers coming and going. Everyone in the family has the same head. There is a really scary resemblance.

One uncle died recently and his kids honored him at the funeral service with wonderful memories delivered from the pulpit of the church. My cousin said that the family's motto was brothers before others.....

My smaller family was way more inclusive and counted as brothers many outside of our circle. Which is more Irish do you think?

No comments: