Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bliss

I just read Christopher Hitchens article in Slate concerning his upcoming debate with George Galloway tomorrow September 14th......don't miss it. Anyway, he started by mentioning what bliss is to various people. That started my memory banks and I recalled a moment about 7 years ago when I was changing the sheets on my bed. For whatever reason, it crossed my mind that at that moment, everyone important to me in my life, my husband, my parents, my brothers and nieces, nephews and pets, everyone was O.K. safe and healthy as they could be. It passed through my mind that the feeling I had was bliss. I stopped what I was doing and savored it. I am so glad that I did because I think that was the last time all those people and pets were in that condition.

I have said since then, when friends are wondering why the pain abounds, there is bliss galore but it comes sporadically and only for very brief moments...we must hold those moments tightly and use them in the painful interludes.

No comments: