Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Wonderful Memorial Mass

One of my late brothers had a live in significant. She adored him and took very good care of him. She really did the in sickness and health thing even though they never did the vows. I'm not sure my brother, vows or no vows would have reciprocated but I never had to find that out so moving right along. His girl invited me to a memorial service that her boss orchestrates every year for employees who have lost a loved one or for employees who have passed away. It was on a college campus in the chapel and it was yesterday. It was so moving and such a wonderful service. There were many many names on the list of those for whom the Mass was said. The priest stood aside and the head of the company, a man of 83, got up and read the names. He had something to say about each and every person and in many cases the departed was a relative of an employee, not an employee yet he had a loving and personal anecdote to relate and to ask for God to look after them in ways each would need. What a confluence of emotion. My brother's memory, his grieved mate, all of the mourning attendees and their memories, the admiration I felt for this man of 83 and his ability to touch each of us. No wonder that man is such a success in the world. He's here and enjoying it but he kept reminding us all that every name he read has gone home and so he knows where home is.

The priest spoke a homily about the college motto, it's Light and Hope, in Latin of course. He was also sincere and drew us all in. He is the youth pastor at the college and if I had met him all those years ago and if I were a lad instead of a lass I would have heard my name called and signed up for the seminary. As it was I mulled over the convent but not being Catholic would be a bit of a hurdle and having a husband could prove cumbersome. Oh well. The lost dream thing.

I thought that I would be a puddle by the end but instead I was lifted up and all that grief and boring and old feeling of before. Why that be gone. . .Hallelujah!


I have been praying and the prayer of Jabez has come to mind. I love the Bless me Lord part and I am fervent when I ask the Lord to hold me in his hands and let no harm come to me...I will ask the same for all in my circle. Bless you all.

No comments: