Thursday, November 10, 2005

Anniversary Dates

Dad died 6 years ago yesterday. I always think I'll be ok with these milestones and I am until......oh hell, there's always something. I can't really recall but as I was driving home after work something got to me and I was driving and crying and driving and crying and then sobbing and weeping and blowing my nose etc etc etc. Whew.. glad that's over for a while. But then this morning I'm listening to one of the radio shows from God and the message was from a missionary who had been in the Sudan. He spoke of the crying children and how the cries are different there. They are fear based...true gut wrenching fear. Those kids fear things we can't even imagine. All the missionary wanted to do was to hold each child and assure them that for the moment they would be safe...imagine? The children's feelings of safety were measured in moments. Well, there I went again....sobbing and crying and omiheavenssakes what is wrong with this world. I stopped short of signing up to travel to Sudan and bringing children home....I wish we could transport them all to a safe haven or turn where they are into one.

What a world we live in....I am so grateful that this is not our permanent home and also that in the midst of all of this nonsense I can be in awe of the color of the sky or the shape of a cloud or the perfection of leaf.....the other message I heard as I drove back to work this am was that those moments show us the fingerprints of God.

Thank you Father.

1 comment:

gemma said...

Thanks for your help. I'm sorry about your mom...your 2 cents are worth more than that. Funny you should say two cents...I had an email from a favorite aunt this week and she said that she would have sold her son many times for two cents and I always found the money to buy him. Love him like a brother and now since my brothers have passed on I am so grateful that I bought my cousin. I like your substitute of the grateful smile and I have had one or two but I don't know.....that safe and secure thing for a terrified child haunts me.