Wednesday, August 31, 2005

faith in the day

Woke up this morning anxious. Too much sleep for a change. Read a passage from "My Utmost for His Highest" (I think that's the name) and it said that we concern ourselves too much with our own circumstances and lose the joy of serving the Lord. I did that yesterday while doing curtains and windows in the guest room. I was thinking of how many people slept in that room, including myself. The circumstances that created the visitations varied from tragedies to simple visits but there had been an array of "guests" in that room and very few had ever contributed monetarily to their stay. Even those that had contributed didn't really take much of a financial burden off of me or us.

I remember that I thought, as I hung the curtains, that if I had the money I spent on all those guests, I would not be scrimping now. Actually I'm not yet scrimping but I always fear that I will be. That thought took the joy out of the act of selflessness that opened my doors to those "guests". Hospitality after all is a way of serving the Lord by serving others and it should never be done with a price tag. I wonder if I have always put a price on what I did and if I did, I hope I can change that. My eyes have been opened and now I can change.

Have a good day.

No comments: